Tuesday 17 July 2012

Various Updates 17.7.12

   Various Updates:

  • Sold wedding dress and tablet on Ebay for a combined total of £160.
  • Made a 2nd batch of ice cream and it was fantastic. A few more practice runs and I'm sure I would have a saleable product at Farmer's Markets or such like.
  • I'm slightly ahead of par on my "Walk a Mile a Day" challenge. I've done 203 miles at the 198 day mark. It is a harder task that you might think!
  • I'm up to 400 listings on Amazon - but really want to get to the 1000 mark this week.
  • Talking of Amazon, I'm on £39 for this fortnight so far which is much more like the thing. Remember, I want to do 3 months of at least £100 before making the switch (post positive calculation) to Amazon FBA.
  • I blew my abstinence from Crisps and Chocolate at the weekend. Before failing I hit a high water mark of 47 days abstinence on both. Let's see if I can get by the 50 day mark this time. Shouldn't be a problem!
  • 5 comps done the other night. Still waiting for my first 2012 winners. I've noticed a major switch to Facebook and Twitter comps this year.
  • My Tatties, Onions and Tomatoes are all going well. I made up a batch of "Mel's Mix" and I've now planted my onions out in it. This weekend, all being well, I'll make up a second batch and get more onions out. The toms are going to go in a growbag on the Greenhouse floor shortly.
  • I've now got 2 compost bins on the go. I'm going to toss up the mix in Bin 1 and transfer it to Bin 2 soon. Believe it or not, my Lawnmower didn't have a grass collection box so I purchased one online the other day. The next batch of grasscuttings can get in there soon, along with a shovel full of lime. I've been amazed how much Compost I've got through this year so having my own supply in 2013 will be a moneysaver.
  • Following on from above, I'm getting more and more interested what cash crops can be grown from the garden. I'm reading "Cash from Square Foot Gardening", which is v interesting but very American focused. I'm interested to see how it can be applied to Scotland. What we do have in Scotland now is a network of Farmer's Markets over the Summer where produce could be sold. In terms of what to grow, I am of the opinion that you should be growing stuff that you would eat yourself. For me that is Tatties, Toms, Onions, Leeks, Peppers, Garlic. Unfortunately these are not very exciting because they are not ridiculously expensive in the shops. In light of this I am looking more into growing legal highs which could then be resold via Ebay or my own bespoke site. San Pedro cactus would be a good start but I'd like to do more than one thing. I think if I could make some sales I would invest in a second greenhouse for the following season. What do you think?
  • last week, whilst in England, I picked up a big box of Scot's Magazines. I'd say there are about 200. The whole box cost 99p. I'd say these could be knocked out eventually for £1 (net) each. I'll list a dozen or so on Ebay at the next Free Listing Day to see if I can get any action. In the meantime they are not going to rot.
  • My first Youtube video is now live. I now need to make shooting and uploading into a habit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQLJHjLIehM The first lesson I learned is that Youtube don't like long vids. Of my 30min masterpiece, only the first 2mins went online. That leaves you the option of putting your vid on in many parts or just sticking to separate little vids. Think I will go for the latter of the two on my next efforts.
  • I signed up at Five Squids and got my first ad listed. I'm offering to interview anyone via Skype for 5 mins for a fiver. I will then send a transcript of the interview back to the client. Don't suppose I'll get any takers but I wanted to get my foot in the door.
  • Still losing my fight against sleep. Had an hour on the settee at teatime and then another 40 mins at 9pm.
  • Last point for today. Over the last few days I've watched the series "Hidden Talents" via 4 on Demand. The program took random people and asked them to sit various tests aimed at discovering talents which the participants may not have known that they had. For example, they found a homeless guy who could pick up languages really quickly and a Wedding Attire Shop Owner who was a fantastically gifted Mountaineer. Simple question - why aren't these tests dished out in our Secondary Schools? There is so much talent going to waste in Scotland. It's a real sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment