Wednesday 11 January 2012

A guy on the MSE Forums who seems to think like me:

I'm in my 40's with no qualifications and no skills on paper, I became self employed in 2008 trying to do a catalogue round but made nothing. I started taking on little odd jobs to eke out a living then was taken on by a bloke who does block paving and gardening services to do the gardening. From there I built my own list of customers for who I do odd jobs and things.




Recently after delivering loads of leaflets for a local kebab and pizza shop cash in had I got to talking and he asked if I would advertise with a sign board like Pizza hut have started doing. I worked out a deal with him - extra for wering a funny hat I had in the car that was by chance in the same colours. I also got a big kebab with loads of salad and drinks when I finished, I walked round the local town with the sign board on and stood at traffic lights and gave out leaflets. £40 in hand with the kebab and drinks. From that I got the job from the gaffer there to chop down a couple of giant leylandii in his garden .



I sell kindling and logs to those with the new wood burning heater stoves that have become popular. I collect wood all year for this - £1 for a kilo bag of kindling, £7 for a large bag of quarter cut logs. Drop two big leylandii for £75 and I'm quids in once it's all cut up.



Painting and decorating - nothing huge just little things , gutter clearing especially this time of year, sweeping up etc. All done cheap but if you charge a tenner and work really hard and get the job done in an hour then it;s great.



I do loads of other bits and bobs too. I'm self employed and declare most of it , the big stuff anmd pay stamp. I get no benefits as my wife works.

No comments:

Post a Comment