Sunday 3 June 2012

Ben Cleuch Charity Walk

   Walked up the 2395 foot King of the Ochils today - Ben Cleuch, raising £52 for a Children's Cancer Charity in doing so.

   It was bloody tough and I actually thought about giving up a few times. I was glad I stuck in though as the views from the top were fantastic. Great exercise too - I was sweating buckets. For a while I needed to stop for a breather every 100 steps. Over the last week I've been trying to do some practice runs. In the end these were woefully inadequate. I had walked up to 1000 feet on four occasions in the last fortnight, and once up to 1500 feet. In reality it was the last quarter that was the toughest.

   Here are some pics.



   It's amazing how far you can see from the top of Ben Cleuch. I could easily make out the Bass Rock in the Firth of Forth, Ben Lomond in the West, the high flats in Cumbernauld to the South and Highland Perthshire to the North. There must be over 1million people in that area.

   I'm going to give the Hillwalking a rest for a week and then start preparing for a longer trek. Hopefully one day I can be the "Tom Weir of the Ochils".

No comments:

Post a Comment