Friday 22 March 2013

The busyness habit can get you hooked

A recent letter in the Financial Times:

From Mr Mark McCartney

   Sir, With reference to Andrew Hill's article "Work-life balance is not just for women" (March 12): most of my professional life has been spent working with "busy bastards" in a sector renowned for it - PR consultancy. Sadly, I would say at least half of all my time at work was wasted. Wasted in long pointless meetings. Wasted writing and responding to pointless emails. Wasted in working on tasks which resulted in little consequence. I sense that I am not alone. Furthermore, I have a hunch our current financial crisis has been caused in large part to this addiction to being busy in which rational, intelligence people check their emails over and over again during the day and spend more time talking to colleagues and customers on their smartphone than talking with their family at the dinner table.
   This brings to mind the line from Richard 2nd: "I wasted my time, and now doth time wastes me". How many of us can honestly say that today we absolutely worked on the most important tasks and didn't get sidetracked by the myriad distractions that grow by the day, largely due to technology and our growing addiction to it.
   This is why I got out. And will stay out. Why I want to help employers and employees challenge this addiction to "busyness".


No comments:

Post a Comment