Saturday 20 October 2012

"I Only Roast the Ones I Love" by Jeffrey Ross

   I still have to type up my "Rugby Roast" idea. It is something I really want to make a go of and I'm looking for a buddy to go to the course with me. More of that later. I've just finished reading "I only roast the ones I love" by Jeffrey Ross. Overall the book was funny but I can't say much more than that. It was pretty obvious that Ross (or his Ghostwriter) had just sat and watched his own videos on Youtube and typed up a little scenario to frame what was happening before and after his gigs. Basically you or me or more likely Chas Newkey-Burden could've written it in a couple of sittings.

   One part of the book I did like was his secrets for writing roast jokes chapter. Here is some sections:

Openers - your first few jokes should try to encapsulate the event. Example: "This isn't a who's who. It's a Who cares?"

Twofers - It's especially fun to nail two people with one line. Example: "Uncle Joe I don't know what stinks worse - your feet or Aunt Donna's cooking".

Crossbreeders - Stare at a picture of the person you are roasting and imagine how such a creature was created. "Uncle Murray, you look like Grandma was raped by an owl".

Tags - a tag is a little joke that goes after a big joke. Example: "Larry the Cable Guy has fucked so many farm animals that he's now called Larry the Stable Guy. Remember Larry Neigh means Neigh".

Props/ Costumes/ Closers

No comments:

Post a Comment