Tuesday 25 May 2010

Complaining for Profit


I found this article on the net and I liked it a lot. I had a bad experience at a pub restaurant last week but stupidly chucked my till receipt - I'll not be doing that again.

I recall reading years ago about a French gentleman who lived in Edinburgh that never paid for anything. He ever complained and got his money back or returned the item within the applicable cooling off period. I wish I could find that article!

In the meantime please enjoy this:

Complain For Profit

Advice on how to complain for profit to companies and services to get a refund and cash or voucher compensation payments:

If you have a genuine complaint against a company, service or manufacturer then do not keep it to yourself - contact them by letter, e-mail or telephone and tell them about it. Keep it objective and professional, outline your complaint, what you would like them to do and then ask about compensation. Most companies will happily pay something, even if a token £10 or £20 in shopping vouchers for genuine concerns. Some companies like such complaints because it keeps them in touch with consumers and helps them tweak their products or provides direct consumer feedback.






Do keep and provide the company or manufacturer with a proof or purchase like a till receipt, the packaging from the product or the item itself if it will not perish. If you are able to then send them these items, or at the least write the barcode and any reference numbers in your letter of complaint. It is acceptable to do this if the items will perish in the post or would be dangerous or too heavy to send by mail.

Example Of A Complaint

As an example of a complaint I purchased a frozen cake for a friend and family BBQ. It was the largest cake in the freezer section of a large store. The box was huge and the picture on the packaging suggested to me that it would serve at least 8 people. When I opened the gateau as the barbecue was lit it was anything but a large cake. It fed four people and I had to go the local shop and get replacement cakes for my other guests. The original cake was padded out in the large box and I felt this was deceiving. I wrote direct to the manufacturer, using the address on the box, explaining how I thought the cake would serve at least eight people from their photo and the size of the box. I described the disappointment I experienced and the inconvenience and further expense of having to buy another brand of cake. I suggested to the manufacturer that other people could be confused by the product and asked if they could offer me compensation for my inconvenience and to restore my faith in their product. I received a lovely letter and apology a week later, with a cheque for £20 for my inconvenience and a further £10 in shopping coupons to try more of their products. A genuine complaint and a rewarding compensation. I'm pleased to say that the next time I bought the product the packaging was changed and looked less deceiving. I remain a satisfied customer and my family and I continue to buy and enjoy their cakes.







I've done the same for other problems I have experienced with products and services and have always received shopping vouchers in value from anything from £3 up to £100. I've also received cheques and replacement products. In some cases these have been for a year's supply of the items. So do leave cupboard space!

I do not want to come across as a professional complainer but I really do recommend sending an e-mail, letter or making a phone call to complain about genuine problems. Any customer should not simply accept bad service or an item not fit for purpose. You will usually be rewarded for bringing matters to companies attention and they can learn from the feedback.








Sending Letters Of Praise Or Thanks For Rewards

The opposite works too. If I have been pleased with a service or product I often write to the manager, owner or director, praising the experience or product. I'll outline the positive aspects and finish by saying I look forward to trying the experience or product again and that I shall be recommending it to all my friends and family. I may write that I have already shared the product with a friend who now usually the product and recommends all her friends. Companies love praise and to see their product grow in popularity. Many a time I have been rewarded by a lovely letter back and free samples, free money off coupons and gift vouchers.



Tips For Complaining

Do take the time to write or type out a letter if you can. It's easy to phone call and e-mail but a letter will stand out and look more genuine and professional.

Try and address it to a person or department.

Use a spell checker and format the letter formally.

Include your address and telephone number.

Keep all correspondence professional and subjective.

Be prepared to quantify your complaint and provide proof of purchase.

For more information read Complain and Claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment