Sunday 16 May 2010

Doss House

I am obsessed with the idea of running a doss house! Could there ever be a less noble ambition?

A little while back I heard about a guy who ran what I thought was a very unsuccessful and unattractive B&B. Little did I know that he was actually running a hugely successful HMO (House of Multiple Accomadation).

Since the 2004 Housing Act, every local council has been legally bound to take action to minimise homelessness. Basically if they know someone is sleeping rough then they need to get that person booked into a local doss house. The doss house charges £25+ for the priviledge. The one I know has had 6 rooms booked out by the council for years on end.

From a Freedom of Information Act request I found out that the council spent £600,000+ on doing this last year (bear in mind this is in the smallest county in Great Britain).

I want a piece of this action! I've written to the Doss House owner asking to get involved and I've let all the local Estate Agents know that I'm looking for a 5bedroom property to convert into bedsits.

No comments:

Post a Comment